On April 22, International Mother Earth Day is celebrated worldwide. We think it is a great opportunity for science activities that are related to our natural environment. This celebration is in recognition of the Earth and its ecosystems as a source of life. It also reminds us of our responsibility to care for and preserve our planet for present and future generations.
So to celebrate, we’re going to suggest some science activity ideas for the International Mother Earth Day for home with family or in the classroom:
1. Observe the water cycle by making a mini-terrarium in a bottle.
2. Manufacture and dispatch some seed bombs.
4. Plant a small vegetable garden in your backyard or balcony.
5. Fertilize your garden plants with your own natural fertilizer, by making compost in a bottle.
6. Create a cosy pond in your backyard to invite frogs to settle in and breed.
7. Experience the magic of metamorphosis by looking after some caterpillars.
8. Take a trip to the countryside or a park equipped with gloves and garbage bags to clean the area.
9. Observe how earthworms’ work by setting up your own worm farm.
10. Organize a gymkhana for nature’s treasures in a park or in the countryside, using laminated photographs of the hidden treasures.
Do you have any special activities scheduled for this day? We’d love to hear how you are celebrating the International Earth Day, thus enhancing this important day with multiple attractive scientific experiments.